Daniel is an associate at Geradin Partners.
Previously, Daniel had worked as a policy advisor for Brazil’s competition agency as well as an attorney in leading competition law cases in Latin America. In the public sector, Daniel advises the Brazilian agency as individual consultant under the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and as non-governmental advisor at the International Competition Network (ICN), having worked as peer-reviewer for the agency’s journal over the last years.
In the private sector, Daniel was an associate at Pereira Neto Macedo Rocco, where he advised clients in cross-border merger reviews, unilateral conduct cases, cartel investigations, and antitrust compliance programmes, including anticorruption-related cases.
As an academic, Daniel has published papers on EU competition law and participated in Tilburg University’s EU Case Law Monitor Project, having previously worked as assistant lecturer and researcher in FGV Law School (Fundação Getúlio Vargas).
- Consultancy for the Brazilian competition agency on telecom (5G, IoT, among other topics) under the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) (2023)
- Consultancy for the International Competition Network’s Advocacy Working Group (2021-2023)
- Advised global companies and individuals in merger review cases and antitrust proceedings before the Brazilian competition agency, in sectors such as telecommunications, electronic payment methods, aviation, and civil construction (2018-2022).
- Worked at the Corporate Law Chamber of São Paulo’s Appellate Court (2017-2018).
Legal Dutch title of meester granted by Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (2023)
Master’s degree in Law & Development, FGV Law School (2022) – magna cum laude Anbima Prize for distinguished thesis
Complementary studies (Global Law Programme) on EU Competition Law, FGV Law School (2020)
Bachelor’s degree in Law, FGV Law School (2018)
Publications and speaking engagements
- Guest lecturer for non-governmental organisation on Administrative Law (2023)
- Guest lecturer on EU Competition Law at the University of Lisbon, Jean Monnet Chair conference (2022)
- Assistant lecturer in training programme for federal servants of Brazil’s competition agency (2022)
- Assistant lecturer in undergraduate and post-graduate courses of Economic Law at FGV Law School (2021-2023)
- Some of his publications include:
- ‘From fintechs to instant payment: A comparative approach to fostering competition in the financial sector’ (2023), Competition and Regulation Journal.
- ‘Inability to pay under CADE’s perspective: criterion and limits to antitrust pecuniary fine setting in Brazil and Europe’ (co-authorship) (2023), Competition and Regulation Journal. [Portuguese version only].
- ‘Dealing with moving targets: a Brazilian perspective of enforcement in the interface of competition law and data protection’ (co-authorship) [to be published].
- ‘Digital fake news and Brazilian journalism in electoral courts’ (2023), FGV [Portuguese version only].
- ‘The Extraterritoriality of European competition law under a Brazilian perspective’, in Nuno Cunha Rodrigues (ed), Extraterritoriality of EU Economic Law (Springer Nature 2021).
- ‘Robotics and artificial intelligence in Brazilian courts: Legal incentives and challenges for public innovation’ (2021), Revista Jurídica Luso-Brasileira [Portuguese version only].
- ‘Settlements as administrative stare decisis: CADE’s challenges and lessons for European competition law’ (2020), Revista de Concorrência e Regulação [Portuguese version only].
- ‘Antitrust and privacy’ (co-authorship) in Caio Mario S. Pereira Neto (ed), Defesa da Concorrência em Plataformas Digitais (FGV 2020) [Portuguese version only].
- ‘Competition enforcement in digital markets: CADE and the remedies for mergers in innovation markets‘ in Caio Mario S. Pereira Neto (ed), Defesa da Concorrência em Plataformas Digitais (FGV 2020) [Portuguese version only].
- ‘Competition in digital markets and challenges for merger review’ (2019), Revista de Defesa da Concorrência[Portuguese version only].
- ‘The rebus sic stantibus clause in the Vargas Era: The historical impact of jurisprudential method over contracts’ (2018), Revista Jurídica Luso-Brasileira [Portuguese version only].
- ‘Institutional approach to private enforcement of competition law: Impacts over CADE’ (2018), Revista do Ibrac[Portuguese version only].
- ‘Securitization of agribusiness receivables and gatekeeping regulation’ (FGV 2018) [Portuguese version only].
- ‘Control over the Public Administration through the Ação Popular and its extraprocedural effects’ (2016) Revista Jurídica Luso-Brasileira [Portuguese version only].